UPDATE (7.08.20) regarding the new Coronavirus (Sars-CoV-2)
Appointments for international patients requesting for treatment options are possible under the following conditions:
Before travelling to Germany:
- Heidelberg University Hospital confirms the medical necessity and available capacities for treatment.
- For patients and possibly (one) accompanying person from risk areas who do not show Covid-19 symptoms (see below), a negative test result on Covid-19 for entering Germany is mandatory. This test result must not be older than 48 hours when entering Germany and has to be provided to the treating department during the first appointment.
Upon arrival in Heidelberg:
- Patients (inpatient and outpatient) from risk areas must quarantine themselves for 7-days in a hotel before first contact/appointment at Heidelberg University Hospital (exception: emergencies). On the 8th day another Covid-19 test is done. When negative, treatment can be started. Exceptions may apply if the patient has already been in Germany for 7 days prior to the initial consultation/admission and provides a negative Covid-19 test result (not older than 48 hours).
- Accompanying persons from risk areas must quarantine themselves for 14 days in a hotel in Germany and must not visit the patient during this time (exception may apply for parents with children younger than 14 years). Furthermore, they have to personally report to the responsible health authority of his destination (e.g. public health authority of Heidelberg/Gesundheitsamt). Please note that there may be fines if these obligations are not met.
Please note that these requirements refer to legal regulations as well as hospital policies and apply to all patients / accompanying persons from risk areas as a rule.
Further information / links:
- Regulations for persons entering Germany in connection with the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
- Overview of Regulations (Robert Koch Institute)
- Defined risk areas (Robert Koch Institute
- Regulation on quarantine measures for incoming and outgoing travellers (CoronaVO EQ, only in German)
- Quarantine obligations for incoming travelers from the EU, Schengen area or the UK (only in German)
- Important notes for International Patients
If you have further questions regarding travel restrictions / quarantine obligations, please contact
- the Regional Council Stuttgart / Regional Health Office (Landesgesundheitsamt):
+49 711 904-39555 (every day between 9 a.m. – 6 p.m) or
- your regional health Office
Heidelberg University Hospital with its 50 specialized clinical departments is one of the leading medical centers in Europe.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of patients from all over Germany and many other countries come here to make use of our modern treatment facilities. The highest standards of medical care are guaranteed by our world-renowned professors, distinguished physicians and committed nursing staff. Heidelberg University Hospital is constantly developing new methods of diagnosis and treatment at the forefront of biomedical science for the benefit of all patients.
On this website we present the wide range of medical treatment options available and provide information about our services for international patients.
Prof. Dr. med. Ingo B. Autenrieth
Chief Medical Director and Chairman of the Board
Heidelberg University Hospital