Department of Neurology
at Heidelberg University Hospital
Our department is located in the "Kopfklinik" and works closely with the Departments of Neurooncology and Neuroradiology, as well as with the Neurosurgical Clinic; together we form the Neurocenter.
The Heidelberg Stroke Unit is one of the largest facilities for the acute treatment of stroke patients in Europe. A specialized treatment team of caregivers, physiotherapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, and doctors ensures that diagnostic procedures, continuous monitoring, and therapies correspond to the latest scientific standards. The Neuroradiology Department located in the same building provides 24-hour access to the latest in diagnostic procedures, including computer tomography, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), and angiography.
- the best possible inpatient and outpatient treatment for individuals with neurological disorders,
- basic and clinically oriented research at an international top level,
- and continuous postgraduate education and training for our employees.
Comprehensive examinations and rehabilitation in a complete package
We frequently receive inquiries from foreign patients who have suffered severe neurological impairment – for instance, from strokes, cerebral bleeding, encephalitis, or injuries – requesting a second opinion, an additional differential diagnosis, or the appropriate rehabilitation. Since the Neurology Department is unable to admit patients for rehabilitation, we offer the following complete package in cooperation with the leading rehabilitation hospitals in Germany:
- During a stay at our clinic of up to five days, you will be thoroughly examined by our experienced team of doctors, who will check your condition using every possible diagnostic test. During this time, you will be accommodated at our facility in a double room that includes a bathroom with shower, sink, and a supply cabinet.
- Also included in the package are any acute treatments that may become necessary, admission to the intensive care unit or our specialized Stroke Unit
- Following our final diagnosis, a certified neurological rehabilitation specialist will review your case to determine whether rehabilitation is feasible. If so, you will continue with a 14-day rehabilitation treatment in the Schmieder Clinic in Heidelberg, in the VIP wing of the Schmieder Clinic in Allensbach or in the Medical Park Rehablitation hospital in Bad Camberg near Frankfurt.
4000inpatients / year
20000outpatients / year
30beds for regular care
24beds for semi-intensive care on the Stroke Unit
Treatment according to international standards
We treat our patients according to internal standards based upon guidelines and recommendations from the German Society of Neurology (DGN) and the European Stroke Organization (ESO). At the Neurology Department, the foundations have been laid for reducing the effects of a stroke or other severe brain disorders as much as possible. We also carry out a large number of scientific projects.
Questions? Contact us!
If you have additional questions, please contact the International Office, or call our offices at +49 - 6221 - 56 8211, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.