Department of Neuro-oncology
at the Neurology Center at Heidelberg University Hospital
Together with the Neurology, Neuroradiology, and Neurosurgery Departments, we make up the Heidelberg Neurology Center. For you, this means interdisciplinary care at one site by specialists in neuro-oncology, neurology, neurosurgery, neuroradiology, and radiation oncology in close cooperation with the National Center for Tumor Diseases in Heidelberg.
Our aims are
- maintaining the highest standards for inpatient and outpatient treatment of neurological illnesses,
- maintaining the highest international standards for basic and clinically oriented research,
- and the ongoing further training of our staff.
Medical Areas of Expertise
We offer diagnosis and consulting before surgery as well as postoperative care and treatment of patients with
- primary brain tumors (astrocytomas, oligodendrogliomas, glioblastomas),
- primary lymphomas of the central nervous system,
- brain metastases from tumors in other organs,
- neurological complications from tumor therapy,
- paraneoplastic syndromes,
- and immunological diseases (in cooperation with the general neurology department).
Our services include comprehensive consulting in neurology, oncology, neuropsychology/psycho-oncology, chemotherapy, and experimental tumor therapy, the treatment of epileptic seizures or tumor pain, the integration of inpatient and outpatient treatment plans, and palliative medical care. In addition to nursing and medical care, physical therapy, speech therapy, and psycho-oncology play an important role here.
Focus on Neuro-Oncology
The focus topic Neuro-oncology was established in 2007 in the Head Clinic and at the NCT and was the first independent university department in Germany for the treatment and research of tumor diseases affecting the nervous system. These include primary brain tumors, brain metastases, and diseases of the nervous system that are caused either by tumors outside the nervous system or by their treatment. We treat our patients in a specialized ward with 18 beds and in a day clinic.
Up-to-date therapy standards
Treatment is provided according to the most up-to-date therapy standards and in clinical trials that study the benefits of new drugs for the treatment of brain tumors. In addition, we work with the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg to develop new treatment strategies for brain tumors. In cooperation with the Department of Neurology, our specialists also develop treatment plans for multiple sclerosis patients.
18beds in specialized ward
Do you as an affected patient, family member, or family doctor have any questions regarding the treatment of neuro-oncological diseases? Please contact us – we would like to help.