High-Precision Therapy for Brain and Spine Tumors
The treatment of children and adults with brain and spine tumors is a special focus at Heidelberg University Hospital with the National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT). For patients with glioblastoma, meningioma, astrocytoma, as well as very rare brain tumors, this includes comprehensive care by experienced specialists in all necessary disciplines and expert teams under one roof.
Treatment is carried out according to current therapy standards and accounts for the newest research developments. At the NCT, individual therapy recommendations for patients with brain tumors are drawn up in expert discussions (tumor conferences), if standard therapy is not the optimal route of treatment.
The diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum includes (for further information follow the links):
- Neurosurgical treatment, for example computer-supported neuro-navigation, stereotactic brain surgery through the Department of Neurosurgery
- Radiation therapy, for example IMRT, Cyberknife, proton / carbon ion therapy through the Department of Radiooncology
- Medical treatment with innovative chemotherapy and immunotherapy through the Department of Neuro-oncology
- Chemotherapy and coordination of treatment with other departments for children with brain and spinal cord tumors through the Department for Pediatric Oncology, Pediatric Brain Tumors Section
- Diagnostic Imaging, e.g. MRI, CT including functional diagnosis studies by the Department of Neuroradiology
- Examination of the tumor tissue with state-of-the-art molecular pathological methods by the Department of Neuropathology
- Comprehensive support from pain therapists, psychologists, dieticians, etc.