close× call us +49 6221 56 6243


Heidelberg University Hospital provides support to foreign patients in obtaining a medical visa to travel to Germany. As soon as payment as per a cost estimate has been received on Heidelberg University Hospital's account we will issue an official letter of invitation to be presented to the German embassy in your home country. In order to issue a letter of Invitation, please provide us with a copy of the patient's (and the accompanying person's) passport.

Please note that a letter of invitation can only be issued for the time period of the scheduled medical treatment. Long term visas are only issued in exceptional cases where the condition of a patient requires regular medical treatment.

You will find further information about applying for a visa on the web pages of the German Embassy in your home country.

Medical Travel Insurance

People who are travelling to Germany to receive medical treatment and accompanying persons are required by law to take out medical travel insurance. This medical travel insurance must be taken out in the home country, e.g. through the travel agency.