National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) Heidelberg – a leading “one-stop” center for comprehensive cancer treatment in Germany
New or repeated cancer diagnosis?
A newly diagnosed cancer or a relapse after cancer therapy poses major challenges and a number of questions arise:
• What is the best cancer treatment for me?
• Where is the best doctor or medical center for the therapy?
• What does it mean for me to receive treatment in Germany?
• Practical questions: When can the therapy begin? Which costs do I have to expect?
The experts of the National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) Heidelberg - specialized teams of doctors, scientists, nurses, nutritional therapists and psychologists - can offer you comprehensive advice and therapy options.
"At the NCT we offer state-of-the-art, interdisciplinary strategies for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer. The NCT is the central entrance portal for all adult cancer patients to Heidelberg University Hospital. Our specialized teams are committed to supporting those suffering from cancer."
Prof. Dr. Dirk Jäger
Managing and Medical Director
The NCT Heidelberg…
… was one of the first "Comprehensive Cancer Centers" in Germany, has been a certified "Top Oncological Center" since 2010 and is widely known as a leading oncological center in Germany.
… is a joint venture of renowned partners: University Hospital Heidelberg (UKHD), Medical Faculty Heidelberg, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Thorax Clinic Heidelberg, German Cancer Aid.
… has a team of experts for each cancer disease that enables multidisciplinary treatment in each individual case: specialists from all areas with experience in this disease develop an individual therapy plan.
… not only has the latest scientific findings at its disposal and always incorporates them into all treatments, but is itself a pacemaker and developer of new or improved therapy methods.
... takes a comprehensive look at each patient: we approach each patient individually and take the time to clarify your questions and discuss all important information in detail.
We treat all types of cancer
For treatment of children with cancer see here.
Overview of available therapies
Our specialists have all conventional and many innovative therapy methods at their disposal - making it possible to offer every patient the best possible therapy combination:
Thoracic Surgery (at the Thoraxclinic Heidelberg)
Nutrition counselling / therapy
Exercise and sport for cancer
Chemotherapies - conventional and many innovative therapies
Targeted therapies (Small molecules)
CAR-T cell therapy
FAPI Diagnostics / Therapy
More see here
Proton and heavy ion therapy
Fractionated, stereotactic radiation
Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
Combinated Radioimmun-/Antibody therapy
MR-guided Radiation therapy (MR-Linac)
Radio frequency Ablation (RFA)
Trans-ARterial Chemo Embolisation (TACE)
Which doctors work at the NCT Heidelberg? Who carries out the therapy?
The NCT Heidelberg functions like a "central entrance portal": Here, all patients with cancer are jointly advised by the respective specialists of Heidelberg University Hospital (UKHD) and then treated in the appropriate specialist department. All physicians and nursing staff are highly competent thanks to further training and daily contact with patients suffering from cancer.
In the video "World-Class Oncology" we introduce a few of the experts to you
How does a consultation and treatment at the NCT Heidelberg work?
The procedure is similar for all diseases; here is an example of a patient with a bone tumor:
- First consultation: The patient presents at the NCT and a specialist for bone tumors discusses all findings with the patient and possibly initiates further examinations if necessary.
- Tumor Board: The results of the examination are discussed in a panel of experts between orthopedic surgeons, hematooncologists, radiation oncologists and diagnostic experts (radiology, pathology) and the most promising therapy plan is developed.
- Therapy decision: In a joint discussion, the patient decides with an experienced physician which therapy is suitable.
- Start of therapy: If, for example, an operation has been recommended and the patient decides to undergo it, an appointment in the Orthopedic Department is arranged. If radiotherapy has been recommended, it can be performed in the Department for Radiotherapy.
- If necessary: renewed consultation in the tumor board about further therapy options.
Can I also get a second opinion without being personally present?
A doctor needs a lot of different information in order to decide on the best possible therapy for an individual patient. This includes, above all, examination results from tissue samples, imaging and the laboratory. In addition, it is also important to know the patient's physical condition, symptoms and individual expectations and wishes. These can be correctly assessed through direct, personal contact and exchange, which is why the experts at the NCT Heidelberg do not offer consultation without a personal introduction to the patient as a rule, but rather require patients to be personally present in Heidelberg.
How do I contact a specialist?
In order to check if treatment at the NCT can be offered, our medical experts need some information from you. Please send the following information in clearly legible quality safely and quickly via our telemedicine portal, which will immediately be forwarded to the expert responsible for you:
- Up-to-date medical report (information on illnesses and previous treatment) – not older than 3 months
- Written reports of MRI/CT images performed
- MRT/CT images in DICOM format (the performing radiologist can provide these on a CD) before a possibly performed operation / after a possibly performed operation and - if these images are older than 3 months, additional current images are needed in many cases
- Histological report - if not listed in the doctor's letter
- Therapies performed so far
For patients with German residence: Here you will find further information on treatment inquiries and contact.