Welcome to the Department of Neurology at Heidelberg University Hospital
The Neurology Department, together with the Neuro-oncology, Neuroradiology, and Neurosurgery Departments, forms the Heidelberg Neurology Center.
Our aims are
- maintaining the highest standards for inpatient and outpatient treatment of neurological illnesses,
- maintaining the highest international standards for basic and clinically oriented research,
- and the ongoing further training of our staff.
One of our areas of specialization is neuroimmunology. The Immunology Outpatient Clinic at our hospital has been designated and certified as a multiple sclerosis center of excellence by the German Multiple Sclerosis Association (DMSG).
Our interdisciplinary team advises the appropriate immune therapy for patients with multiple sclerosis and related diseases of the central nervous system in accordance with the most up-to-date treatment approaches. The outpatient clinic also offers our patients the possibility of participating in German and international clinical trials in which promising new drugs are tested.
We also examine and advise patients with other immunological diseases such as myasthenia gravis, immune neuropathies, and systemic inflammatory rheumatic diseases and provide treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs (corticosteroids, Natalizumab, Alemtuzumab, Mitoxantrone, immunoglobulins). We are a recognized treatment center in particular for Natalizumab and Alemtuzumab therapy and can offer recommendations for physicians in private practice.
We specialize in the research and treatment of
- multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica,
- immune neuropathies and inflammatory muscular diseases,
- myasthenia gravis,
- and neurological manifestations of vasculitis and collagenosis.
We offer most modern diagnostic and treatment methods together with comprehensive expertise in neuroimmunology.
Professor Dr. Brigitte Wildemann
Director of the Immunology Outpatient Clinic at the Department of Neurology at Heidelberg University Hospital